For my latest embroidery project I ventured a bit into unknown territory. I have been contemplating stitching a lotus flower for some time now. Lots of ideas, but no progress at all. I then came across a lovely design for a lotus flower from Pauline Texidor, a French embroiderer. It is not a full kit, but you can download the design, with instructions. You still have to find your own fabric and threads etc. Here is my completed attempt.
The fabric is I think a medium linen, something that was hidden in my stash. Easy to work with and a nice neutral colour to show off the colours. The instructions are very helpful and fairly easy to follow. They are detailed for some of the sections, thereafter you have to work it out based on what went before.
I pretty much followed the suggestions with the design, using the recommended colour scheme. Though of course you could work with any colour combination you wanted.
DMC stranded cotton was used throughout. Only one strand at a time. This I found quite challenging for the silk shading sections – most of it in other words. Four colours make up the design. The stem and leaves are in shades of acquamarine and seagreen. The veins of the leaves are stitched with a grey green shade.
The bud is stitched in shades of blue and lavender, with a touch of violet. The same colours were used for the petals with the addition of shades of plum, with a touch of cranberry.
The stems were appropriately stitched with stem stitch – five adjacent rows. Stem stitch was also used for the veins of the leaves.
The rest of the work was stitched in silk shading or long and short stitch. Most of the time I managed this reasonably well. But on a few too many occasions I found this very difficult to maintain the curves that are demanded for the design.
The other challenge was to get the right balance of shades from dark to light. This has worked mostly quite well with the leaves and some of the petals. Not so sure about all of the petals though. In particular I feel the two lower and large blue petals show a bit too much of the light blues. May have to go over these two again. At the moment I am just going to leave it as it is for a while.
I find this type of surface embroidery very slow work. Very challenging and very enjoyable. This particular piece has so far taken up 39 hours of stitching.
If you are interested in more of Pauline Texidor’s designs you can visit her instagram account here. I came across her work via le temps de broder, a Swiss embroidery site, full of fascinating articles and links. Both are well worth visiting.