I have never participated in an embroidery SAL before. But there is a first time for everything, and you’re never too old and all that jazz. Anyway I am now two weeks into this particular SAL. It is a creation of Peppermint Purple, an online shop for blackwork and cross stitch kits run by Clare Ardali.
I am working on the square option for the SAL. As this is a year long SAL, there will be 52 sections to complete and the project will last until the end of December. I have now, today, completed the first two sections, which you can see below.
The fabric is an 18 count Aida in white, and the threads are all DMC cotton. With the SAL package as well as the overall design and the weekly filler patterns, you get a suggested colour scheme and some advice on stitching. I have decided to go with most of the suggested colours, but have discarded the greens and lavender. So I will end up with a mix of pinks/roses and blues. The first two sections give an idea of this mix, with one section in very light plum and the other in light antique blue.
A couple of early comments on this project. I stitched the first section with two strands of the cotton, and only afterwards came across a note that the fillings should be stitched with just one strand. Why bother to read the instructions! Anyway the second section, the one in blue, was stitched with a single strand. At the moment I think I will continue to alternate between one and two strands. Usually when I do blackwork embroidery I use a mixture of one, two and three strands. Anyway I will see how it goes.
The other comment is about the outlines. I started by stitching a few of these, using two strands of black in backstitch. However when it came to embroidering the insides, I find this a bit constricting, especially as each pattern has some threads which reach all the way to the edges. I will stick with the sections already outlined, but thereafter I plan to stitch the fillings first and then go on to the outlines.