I have just in the last week finally finished my latest embroidery project. This was (very) loosely inspired by some Mexican lacquer ware. For information about the background to this piece, see my previous post here. The finished work looks like this.
The fabric is a 28 count Brittney in dark pine green. The four flower like shapes and the connecting lines are all stitched in purple from au ver à soie’s Soie d’Alger collection. Only two blackwork patterns were used for the flowers, both quite dense. Each pattern was stitched once in a vertical line and once in a horizontal line. A mixture of two and three strands were used for these sections. The outline of the flower shapes are stitched in stem stitch with just one strand. For the connecting lines I decided on a quaker stitch, using two strands of the silk thread.
The background is filled with just one pattern, a fairly open one. For this I used four strands of a 12 ply silk in jade from the Glissen Gloss Colorwash range. To complete the piece I stitched wavy outline in heavy chain stitch, using one strand of Appleton’s two ply wool in dark green.
When I say the piece is finished, this is only partly true. I am still debating with myself whether I should add a dash of yellow to the centres of the flower like shapes. I will leave the embroidery in its hoop frame. Which reminds me that I still have to tidy up the back. So it is definitely not fully finished!
Anyway I now have two more projects almost ready for stitching. More later.