I have been very busy with embroidery over the last couple of months. However mostly with long term projects, a couple of SALs for example. So there has been nothing in the way of completed work to show. Until now that is. A few days ago I finally finished a Bargello piece I was working on. It is a slight variation on a design from Dorothy Kaestner’s book – Bargello Needlepoint. There she gave the design the title of Spindrift. Here is my attempt.
The sphere at the centre is a bit smaller than the one in Dorothy Kaestner’s design. I did this to make the piece more manageable. A big mistake! With a smaller sphere the rest of the pattern did not fit. It took me far too much time, restitching and a fair amount of anglo-saxon expletives to finally work out a solution.
The other change was to the number of blues. In the original there were 11 shades. Alas, I did not have 11 shades of any colour. So I made do with seven shades, which meant some of the shades were repeated. Still it works fine I think.
The fabric is an 18ct Aida in pale yellow/green. This does not show up in the photo, where it looks like a light grey. For the sphere I used three orange shades and two yellow shades, all from the DMC tapestry wool range. The surround in blue is made up of three shades of royal blue from Appletons 2 ply range, and four shades from the DMC range. For all the stitching I used two strands of the wool.
The finished piece is approximately 20cmx20cm. Now need to decide what to do with it! I spent 29 and a half hours on this, but spread over 21 days. I rather like this design and may well repeat it with an other colour scheme. But this time with the larger sphere!