Red on White

For my latest blackwork project I decided to work with just two patterns. I managed to divide a circle into four curved sections, which meant that each pattern appeared in two of these sections.

The fabric is a Lugana 25 count from Zeigart, a mixture of cotton and modal. This is the first time I have used this range. The 25 count size is easier to work with than the usual 28 or 32 counts that I have previously used for blackwork. Age, I’m afraid.

The threads are all in shades of red. For the outlines I used one strand of Fine d’aubusson wool from France. The lines are stitched in whipped backstitch.

The main body is stitched with different silk threads. The bright red is a French silk from the Soie d’Alger range. This comes in seven strands and I used a mix of one, two and three strands. The other thread is Japanese silk from the Colorwash range. It has the lovely name of strawberry sherbet. This thread comes in 12 strands. For the embroidery I used two, four and six strands.

This was a fairly simple composition. The biggest and unfortunately recurring problem was my failure to count accurately. Old age again!

The finished piece is now tightly ensconced in a 16cm hoop from the Nurge range. The actual stitching took up just over 22 hours.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s