Tulips – Blackwork

My latest project was a slightly different approach to Blackwork. Firstly I worked on a 14ct Aida fabric, quite a bit larger than the 28/30 count I usually use. Secondly I limited myself to just one motif – tulip as it is called in my RSN guidebook. Thirdly, instead of varying the thickness by using more or less strands of the same thread, this time I used four different threads. Here it is.

The two darkest and thickest threads were used at the two ends of the piece. I started with a thread I picked up at a market stall in Meiringen in Switzerland many years ago. It is I think a silk thread. Whatever, it is very soft and easy to stitch with.

IMG_0835

The other darkish thread is a 80%/20% wool/silk mix from the Amitola range by Louisa Harding. This is a lovely soft yarn made for knitting. I had bought this at a sale in a shop in Pittenween some years ago. Unfortunately, though lovely for knitting it is not so good for embroidery. The yarn keeps stretching  and fraying.  

The first of the two lighter threads is an Alpaca/silk mix from Elvincrafts in Skye. This is also primarily for knitting, but does work very well for embroidery. It is a variegated yarn, but I just worked with purple sections. The lightest and thinnest thread is one strand from the Anchor cotton range.

I am quite pleased with how this has turned out. In particular going from dark to light to dark again. The finished piece measures 292mmX85mm, and took me approximately 16 hours to complete. It will end up as a wall hanging. Happy stitching!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s