Another embroidery project completed and another experiment. Traditional Palestinian embroidery is nearly always made up of lots of bright vibrant colours. This time I decided to use just black, with a tiny amount of cream, on a red fabric. Here is the finished piece.
The fabric is an 18ct Aida in bright red, while the threads are from the DMC cotton range. I used two strands for the cross stitches. The four designs or motifs are all from the patterns used traditional Palestinian embroidery. Just not normally in one colour.
The centre piece is the two swans. Not that swans are particularly common in Palestine, but this pattern was common in pattern books. The upper right and bottom left motif is an olive branch, while the upper left and bottom right motif is a carnation. The border is known as the snail.
This was a bit of an experiment as I have never tried traditional Palestinian work with just one colour. The result is a bit unusual, but quite effective I think. The size is 12cm x 17cm and fits nicely into one of my IKEA black rimmed frames.
I have a couple of ideas in mind for my next projects. The first will be a simple illustration of the lighthouse at Tayport, while the second will be a merlin in flight, in blackwork. Happy stitching!