I am now well into my latest embroidery project. This one is very closely based on a scene from one of the fabulous embroidery hangings in the V&A. It is a floral scene, probably part of a canopy for a wedding celebration. I took a photo of part of the hanging, but forgot to get details of when and where it was stitched.
My project focuses on the three brightly coloured tulips. It is also much simpler than the original. This was stitched with silk threads and I am keeping to this for most of the work. I started with the tulips and below is a shot of the first two completed.
The yellows, red, lavender and blue are all stitched with two strands of French made silk from Au ver a soie, their soie d’Alger collection. (Did it originally come from Algeria?) The very narrow bands in each tulip were stitched with three strands of Rajmahal silk and rayon mix. These Rajmahal threads are finicky to work with, but they do have an extra bright sheen to them. Good in small measures. The edging and the cream sections are in two strands of cotton thread.
For this project I will be using a fairly limited range of stitches. Satin and long and short shading for most of the tulips. Chain stitch for the cream parts and the stems, while the edging is done in a split stitch. The fabric is a very fine and soft linen.
This is very slow work, which I have managed to make even slower by messing up the edging from time to time. I keep starting a section with chain stitch and then wonder why that section is so much thicker than the rest. Lots of unpicking and restarting!
So far so good and I am quite pleased with my progress and the outcome. A long way to go!