I have now finished stitching the Aubusson Symphony. The outer niches pretty much just repeat the main pattern. But right up until the last moment I was unsure of what to put in the centre niche. I had thought of putting in the initials of our three grandsons, but there was no way I could get all three letters to fit into the space. Eventually I decided to make up my own design, loosely based on the stained glass roses by Charles Renee Mackintosh. Here is the completed piece.
The rose pattern is stitched with three strands of a rayon and silk thread – Vibrant Musk from Rajmahal Art Silk collection. The outer lines of the rose are stitched with three strands of a DMC Metallic thread – Antique Effects in Gold. This is the first time I have used a metallic thread and it is almost as difficult to use as the silk thread. But does give a wonderful effect to the finished work, so I will use them again. The rest of the niche was stitched with two strands of DMC cotton in Very Light Tan. To make a contrast with the Bargello pattern of the rest of the design this central niche was done in simple tent stitch. The rose design does not show up too well in the main photo, so here is one of the central section on its own. As usual, I am not at all sure what I will do with this piece now that it is finished.